No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Gentlemen Start Your Dremels



September 26, 2013

 photo 117_zpsd74b1ac0.jpg

 photo 017_zpsfdde1c41.jpg

 photo 034_zpsdfc07e19.jpg

 photo 037_zps0509b23f.jpg

 photo 020_zpsb70bac57.jpg Kathy & Joanie

Gentlemen Start Your Dremels

 photo 166_zpsb7261d2e.jpg

As a kid, I was in the cub scouts for all of about two weeks, I joined at one point when I was about six or seven. I remember spending time going shopping for a uniform with my grandparents. There is I believe a single photo of me someplace showing me proudly wearing the uniform, but it was short-lived. I could never seem to get a ride to the meetings and after a couple of weeks of going to meetings and not collecting a single merit badge, I sort of just stopped going.

 photo 175_zps2dd22dea.jpg

 photo 022_zpse516b88d.jpg Michael

 photo 015_zpsece8984d.jpg Erica

 photo 046_zpsbc1691b7.jpg

The point of this sad tale is that I never got to do a lot of the things that come with being in the scouts, including the ubiquitous pinewood derby, something that I most certainly would have been interested in doing. So when my favorite Key West watering hole announced that they were sponsoring a pinewood derby, I immediately purchased two sets of car building materials- basically two blocks of pine with wheels and axles and that is about it.

 photo 054_zps9d6559b4.jpg

 photo 026_zps7991e5ee.jpg Jen

 photo 014_zps5f2244bd.jpg

 photo 184_zpse18d3105.jpg Michael M

I worked for a week or more building my car to the exact specifications of the pinewood derby rules, dutifully measuring and precisely trimming my car in to a lean and seemingly fast piece of racing machinery. When Kathy did not show the same level of enthusiasm and on race day morning still basically had a block of wood- I hurriedly built and painted a car for her- without any of the care and detail of my own car.

 photo 0142_zpsc177d06c.jpg Michael & Carolyn

 photo 111_zps05e052f0.jpg Cameron & Howard

Of course the night of the race, my car did not even cross the finish line being one of the only cars to crash out after losing a wheel midway down the track in its first race attempt while Kathy’s car of course won its first race going away to advance in to the second round where she came up just short.

 photo 080_zpsd26ef43c.jpg

 photo 161_zpsc70c362a.jpg

I should now say something trite like how it was not really about the competition and it was all in good fun etc., but damn I wanted to win, one race at least. Oh well there is always next year- since the Porch purchased the track and now needs to come up with a reason to use it. It was a ton of fun, added to by a visit from our friend Cameron- who was a participant in the RPM field school in Albania this summer along with his father Stuart.

 photo 024_zps0f440d2e.jpg Kathy, Stuart & Cameron

 photo 032_zps324fe4a3.jpg Jenn, Landon & Carolyn

 photo 074_zps27aee588.jpg

 photo 1322_zps0911dcfc.jpg

They were here checking out Key West and as fate would have it, a second student from the field school was here during the same time as Leslie was visiting with her mother. While they did not make it to the pinewood derby, we did all get together for a great breakfast at Pepe’s before Kathy and I had to take off to head to Europe.

 photo 104_zps1e72f7aa.jpg Jeff, Stuart, Cameron, Leslie & Howard

 photo 103_zps821dfc86.jpg

 photo 035_zps9558be15.jpg

 photo 010_zps49dcceff.jpg

 photo 008_zps4089f3a0.jpg

This week also saw us competing in yet another 5K race, this one was the “Red Shirt Run” and was a benefit for one of the candidates for Fantasy Fest King and AIDS Help. Kathy and I each finished in first place- she as female walker and me as male walker which was pretty cool.

 photo 123_zps3bcbca7c.jpg Arlo, Jennifer & Elena

 photo 085_zpscdf8edc8.jpg Howard

Our friends at theme runs sponsored the race and they also were busy this week promoting their next event, a Fantasy Fest race that shares the theme of “Heroes and Villains”.  They were filming a commercial and taking promotional photos this week when Kathy and I came across them and got some photos of our own. I think we will be participating in that one as well.

 photo 138_zps26a3a273.jpg

 photo 153_zpseb1bc00b.jpg

 photo 155_zps3c4c5d7d.jpg

 photo 132_zpsaca5cb4a.jpg

 photo 005_zps02440f5f.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home