No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Orlando Balloon Glow


November 17, 2019

 




Orlando Balloon Glow

When I visit any city for whatever reason, I always try to look and see what sort of interesting or unique events might be taking place while I am there that might be worth checking out. My visit to Orlando to attend the DEMA trade show for work was no different. It is pretty easy to find stuff to do in Orlando, it is after all one of the leading tourist destinations in the world, but I always enjoy something a little different.

 



I found it when I learned that Orlando was hosting its first ever hot air balloon glow during the time that my co-worker Howard and I were in town. I had never been to a balloon glow, but Howard had just attended one this year that was held at Homestead Motor Speedway with his entire family. Thankfully he was game to go again so we headed over to Blue Jacket Park where the event was to be held at dusk.

 




We arrived just as they were unloading the 25 or so hot air balloons on the large field at the park. There was an assortment of vendors around the perimeter with all manner of food trucks, some carnival rides and games for kids and the like, but the highlight was the balloons themselves.

 




The sky was overcast and threatening, but the rain did not arrive thankfully until later and the winds were not too bad to preclude teetered ascensions by the balloons. Howard and I had VIP tickets that allowed us to take a brief ride in a balloon, which was ok, but being attached to the ground sort of diminished the impact. The best part was just watching the cool collection of balloons as they inflated and took short rides a few feet off the ground.

 




I had not been around so many hot air balloons since I was a kid and used to watch the hot air balloon race that kicked off the Indiana State Fair each year and it was really cool to get up close and personal with the balloons and their owners and crews. It made me want to attend a massive balloon festival like the one that is held in Albuquerque each fall.

 




Many of the crews had just returned from that event which was held last month. The variety of balloons was exciting and being near or in them as they blasted the flames that inflated and kept them aloft was pretty cool. I only wished that the weather was a bit more cooperative. The overcast, gloomy skies had a negative impact on the photos I was taking and it was more than a bit chilly, something that I am not really all that used to.

 


After the balloon event, Howard and I went out for some yummy craft beer at the Dead Lizard Brewing Compnay, a newer Orlando Microbrewery that I had never been to. Located in an Industrial Park near the Holyland Experience just off I-4, Dead Lizard was a pretty cool place and we enjoyed a nice evening hanging out with some locals before heading back to the hotel.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home