No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Mipso


March 23, 2019

Mipso 


 



Mipso

Austin is without a doubt my favorite city in Texas and one of the best places that I have the good fortune to visit on a fairly regular basis. There is just so much going for it, it has everything that I seem to love including an amazing music scene, a fantastic selection of some of the finest craft breweries in America as well as a plethora of amazing restaurants. Now it also happens to host an Indy car race, so of course the initial Indy Car race ever held at the Circuit of the Americas was on my must do list.

 



Having the better part of a day and night in Austin prior to any activities got underway at the track, I was free to indulge some of my other passions. My first stop was the site of the Hope Outdoor Gallery, which was formally home to an ever changing array of graffiti art. Sadly I found the entire area fenced off and closed to the public. I had heard that the property had been sold to developers, but seeing it all closed off was disheartening. Progress once again destroys the creative spirit and money of course talks.


 


My next stop had a much better result as I joined the line at the famous Franklin Barbeque. Since opening as a small food truck in 2009, Franklin’s has grown into a full-on restaurant serving what has rightfully been described as the best barbeque in the known universe. Patrons line up early in the morning and the line remains throughout the day until they run out of brisket, which they have done every single day since they opened, usually by about 1:00 PM.

 


I was fortunate to make it in just under the wire as they ran out just about a dozen people in line after me. The food was as amazing as advertised. I had brisket and sausage and it was just incredible.  Franklin Barbecue owner Aaron Franklin was awarded a James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef in 2015. He is the only chef who specializes in barbecue to ever be nominated, or receive, the award. The restaurant is almost always listed as one of the ten best bbq restaurants in the world and there is always a line, but well worth the wait.


 



After lunch, I did a mini-brewery tour visiting four of Austin’s finest craft breweries, starting at my favorite the Austin Beer Garden Brewery (ABGB) which has won the award as best brewery in America an unheard of three straight years at the Great American Beer Festival. Their beer Rocket 100 is also a multiple gold medal winner at GABF and is still one of the best beers that I have ever had. I also stopped at three other breweries, having the benefit of a vehicle on this visit to Austin.


 



I stopped at St. Elmo Brewery, Independence Brewing and Skull Mechanix Brewery which was literally next door to the hotel where I was staying. They all had pretty good selections and it was really fun to explore the differences between the breweries and the beer they offered. As awesome as the beer selection in Austin is, once the sun set, I was off in search of another experience that the city is famous for, live music.



Having multiple options and not sure where to go, I opted to go to a place I was familiar with and was fairly certain would have good music, Antone’s. I was not disappointed as they were hosting a stop on the tour of a pair of bands out of North Carolina that I was not previously familiar with, Mipso was the headliner with a band called River Whyless as the opener.

River Whyless

 



River Whyless has apparently been around since 2012, but I had not had the good fortune to come across them, but was thrilled to catch their wonderful set of folky Americana style music. One of the better opening acts that I had seen in ages and I recall thinking that the headlining band Mipso had their work cut out for them if they hoped to top that set.



 


Mipso did that and then some, delivering an amazing set. Reminding me of a traditional folk string quintet, the band delivered a melodic set of folky gems with the three lead singers at times trading lead vocal duties and offering some truly beautiful three-part harmonies. To say I was pleased with my choice to attend this show would be a huge understatement. 


 



Both of these bands are worthy of checking out and both have been on heavy repeat play on my Spotify account since seeing the show. I am always thrilled to discover a wonderful new (to me) band and to get two for the price of one is truly good fortune. 






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home