No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 05, 2019

“We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet. Even longer,' Pooh answered.”


February 17, 2019

Shanda

 

 

John, Elizabeth and Kathy


“We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.”

I have been so fortunate in my life to have a number of incredible friends. My wife says that I am a hoarder and that I never let anything go, I guess a point could be made that this is true, but as much as I value some of the things that I have held on to throughout my life, the one thing that I have no regrets about hanging on to is friendship. I am happy to report that I am still pretty close friends with the same people that were my close childhood friends, I have another amazing bunch of friends that I still value from my high school and college days and even more friends that I met when I first arrived in Key West back in 1991.


 



Two of these amazing people who I have known basically since my arrival here, yet have moved away from the island in the course of time were back this month at the same time. The sad part is that they were both here to attend the memorial service for our mutual friend Danny, but in spite of the tragic circumstances that brought them back at this time, it was as it always is, amazingly wonderful to see each of them.



I met Shanda I think in 1992, she was doing an internship at the Dolphin Research Center and had a friend who was volunteering for Reef Relief, as I was at the time. Though it was a short visit at that time, she was soon back in Key West and spent many years here, we even were roommates for a time and have been very close friends ever since. Our life paths have criss-crosssed, intersected, run parallel at times and for stretches we have barely spoken. 

T and Shanda



Through it all, we have remained wonderfully close, seeing each other through both tough and amazing times and someone maintaining a rare closeness that I really can’t say that I share with all the many people…except perhaps for my friend Kerry. Kerry and I met around the same time period, we worked together for a time at the old Waterfront Market.

Kerry



Kerry may be the closest friend I have outside of my wife Kathy. There are some people who just get you, with who you have some deep connection that cannot really be explained, at least I hope you have someone in your life like that because it is a priceless gift. I feel so fortunate to have two such amazing friends and to have the three of us back together again was truly a special experience, even if what brought us together was a truly unfortunate event.

Michael and Carla

Andy, Shanda, Kerry and Brenda 


Of course it wasn’t just those two friends who were here, as Kerry’s sister T and her boyfriend Matt were also on hand for a wonderful gathering of truly special friends that Kathy and I were so pleased to be a part of.  We had some great experiences while they were here that included many great shared meals and a magical day spent at the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor. 

T


Shanda 


We were able to bring our dog Jack and Shanda brought her two dogs as well and the group of us spent a truly wonderful day at the beach, relaxing, sharing stories and just hanging out. The weather could not have been more perfect. Warm and sunny with the water offering cool refreshment. 




Matt

Of course the reason for the gathering was Danny’s memorial and it was another nice gathering of his family, friends and well-wishers. Memorials are always somewhat tough for me and for some reason this one was especially difficult to reconcile.  There was a great turnout at Higg’s Beach and it was a nice way to remember and respect our lost friend, but I felt something of an unexplainable hollowness about the entire thing. Thankfully we had a wonderful group of amazing friends to lean on.




We had some other good friends in town recently as well as my friend and colleague at RPM Nautical, Howard and his family were here for a brief visit from their home in Miramar. I joined them for lunch at the Hogfish and later we all ventured to Dairy Queen for a fun visit as well. Also this month found Kathy’s longtime friends John and Elizabeth Howard here. Elizabeth just completed a new book and she had a books signing at Books and Books at the Studios and they also had us over for cocktails prior to their heading North again. 






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home