No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Friday, December 14, 2018

Just Breathe


December 4, 2018

 



Just Breathe

Personally, I have never been much on attending memorials, funerals or life celebrations. They just fill me with sadness and loss and I have a very tough time keeping it together. However if there is any bright spot of such gatherings it is that you get to share your grief with so many family, friends and loved ones. Weddings and funerals are sometimes the only times that I get to see some people, something that in itself is somewhat sad, but also provides a reminder of just how important that so many people are in our lives.


 

Marta

My brother-in-law’s calling and funeral service was just such an occasion. It was the first time that I had seen my four nephews together in ages and I was able to meet two of their girlfriends for the first time as well. Also my mother was on hand and I got to spend some real quality time with her. Family and friends on Jerome’s side of the family were present in abundance as well and it was nice to be able to see them and meet even more family members and friends. 

Michael and Kevin 


Michael, Ted and Rizzo at Brugge

Jerome’s brother Bill and his wife Jane hosted a wonderful gathering after the service at their home in Zionsville and it was just a wonderful gathering under some very unfortunate circumstances. It was especially gratifying that some of my friends made an effort to attend the calling, it was something that I had not expected and was so pleased, it meant a lot to myself and my sister Michele.

at Twenty Tap

Of course while in Indianapolis, I also made a point to stop and see friends at some of my favorite establishments including Brugge Brasserie and Twenty Tap, where I can almost always find friends on hand. It was a tough time for many of my friends due to the passing of our mutual friend Packy, but sometimes hanging out with people and just reflecting on the nature of life can be so comforting. I can’t say how much I love and appreciate the people in my life.



The night before departing Indianapolis and heading home to Key West, I took the opportunity to return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for "Lights at The Brickyard”, the annual festival of holiday lights at the famed oval. This is the third year that the Speedway has transformed a two mile path that winds through the infield and then onto the main straightaway into a holiday lights display.

 



It is another Speedway activity that I had never seen or participated in and that I really wanted to do while I was in town during the holiday season.  It is a driving only activity that winds through literally dozens of holiday lights displays featuring over three million lights. There was a light snow and virtually no one else driving the course while I was there, allowing me to drive super slowly and take in the lights without being rushed.

 





The opportunity to drive onto the track in the short chute between turns three and four and then turn down the main straight passed the pagoda and over the famed yard of bricks that marks the start/finish line for the Indianapolis 500, is something that I always cherish and it was so cool to drive it at night with the lights and no one at all around. 




 


While I was in Indiana, Kathy was back in Key West preparing for a pre-planned trip to Colorado and New Mexico and attending a concert by the legendary band the Kingston Trio at the Key West Theater. She had an amazing time and enjoyed the show immensely and even got to meet and hang out with the band after the show. Here is a short video from the show.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home