No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

California Dreaming



April 17, 2015

California Dreaming

 photo 11148651_10152871385371872_5659196808073369867_n_zpspxs4gd5j.jpg Michael & Lee

 photo 035_zps0yipgh1o.jpg

 photo 059 2_zpsdk3wfwei.jpg

 photo 086_zpsz9fy5hcj.jpg 

 photo 070_zpsyqoeloyu.jpg War On Drugs

For the third year in a row, I headed out to California in April to catch the annual Coachellla Music & Arts Festival in Indio. This year for the first time since I have been going, Kathy opted not to join me, having a busier work schedule and huge music festivals not being her thing. This year once again, I joined my boss George, his friend Jalak and my co-worker and friend Lee in Palm Springs at a house we rented near the Polo Grounds where the festival is held.

 photo 054_zpspsnprwjj.jpg Raekwon 

 photo 027_zpscjgvbjlb.jpg

 photo 051_zpsx103diro.jpg

 photo 007_zpszg0rpj5o.jpg Action Bronson

The last two years, Kathy and I had flown in to Vegas and driven over across the desert, this year I decided to fly in a day early and to fly in to San Diego instead of Vegas. It has been many, many years since I was last in San Diego and there is a lot going on there, plus it is closer to Palm Springs than Vegas.

 photo 028_zps82jipmdl.jpg

 photo 005_zpslop0bz0t.jpg

 photo 008_zps2ozfv7c8.jpg

 photo 023_zpsix2agy4f.jpg

I arrived in San Diego just in time to catch the beautiful sunset into the Pacific at the U.S.S. Midway an old aircraft carrier that is docked in San Diego harbor. The carrier is now a military museum and there is a beautiful waterfront park that honors the US Navy and military service in general. There is even a huge statue depicting the famous end of the war kiss by Key West’s own Seward Johnson. 

 photo 021_zpsqziewd3s.jpg 

 photo 011_zpsfwhalsum.jpg

Upon checking in to my hotel, I looked out the window of my room at a beautiful view of Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres and to my good fortune a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks was just getting underway, so I walked down the block from my hotel, bought a ticket and checked out the ballgame. In honor of Jackie Robinson, all the players on both teams wore the number 42, which though somewhat confusing was still pretty cool. The Padres took a close, exciting game 3-2 on an 8th inning tie-breaking solo home run. It was a nice way to start off my stay in California.

 photo 055_zpspl0lbbqb.jpg

 photo 052_zpsz9cszzkt.jpg

 photo 059_zpsdwbotckc.jpg

 photo 076_zpso0w6oa21.jpg 

 photo 061_zps8zwxxura.jpg

The next day, I drove down the coast and over to Palm Springs to pick my friend Lee up at the airport and check in to the house. George and Jalak arrived on a later flight and we were ready for the first day at Coachella. It was Lee’s first time at the festival so we went over fairly early as she really wanted to see Action Bronson who had a fairly early set time.

 photo 094_zpsag8mr8px.jpg 

 photo 017_zpshrofatjg.jpg

 photo 012_zpsbm4zaqdr.jpg George Ezra

As usual we had the VIP passes, which get you your own special area with private bars, food vendors and restrooms and we spent some time there planning out our day. There were eight stages with almost continuous live music making it difficult to decide at times who to watch perform.

 photo 075_zps09qbebmd.jpg Lee

George Ezra “Budapest”

 photo 081_zpsxzeyuqhc.jpg

Among the early bands that we checked out were Azealia Banks, Raekwon and Ghostface Killah, George Ezra, War on Drugs, Interpol, Alabama Shakes and Lykee Li. They were all pretty decent but to my mind two really stood out, George Ezra and War On Drugs. Neither were all that familiar to me, but both won me over with amazing performances that had me hooked and wanting to see much more from both.

 photo 029_zpsszfjuvll.jpg

 photo 034_zpszduoveaj.jpg Azelia Banks

 photo 064_zps3yub5pbx.jpg War On Drugs

 photo 084_zpsyu2bbhci.jpg Alabama Shakes

 photo 092_zpshna6bxe8.jpg Lykee Li

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home