No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Friday, September 24, 2021

Brewfest

September 7, 2021



Brewfest

I got back to Key West just in time to spend a nice week with my wife Kathy before she headed off for the better part of a month. She drove first up to Massachusetts to visit friends and family in Marshfield and then was off on an amazing bicycle adventure with our friends Tom and Cheryl. Beginning in Burlinton, Vermont, they intended to bike 30-60 miles a day for about 18 days, up into Canada over to Quebec City and then returning to Vermont.


I was to be holding down the fort while she was off and I must admit that it is nice to be back in Key West for a bit of time, it seems like we have been on the go most of the summer and for me at least, an extended stretch in Key West was welcome. It’s not like there wasn’t stuff going on here, though I must admit, my preference is to pretty much hole up inside my house, reading, catching up on movies and shows and watching some football.


Labor Day weekend means the return of Brewfest in Key West. The event, which is one of my favorite annual events has had the misfortune of being canceled for the past two year, in 2019 a hurricane threat canceled all the festivities and of course last year, the event was like most things canceled due to the Covid pandemic.

This year, it was back and seemingly none worse for the wear. There were the standard dinners and beer parties that surround the main event, the Saturday afternoon festival on the beach at the Southernmost Beach Café. I attended a couple of the beer pool parties at least until they got too crowded and I had VIP tickets to the main event which was from 3-5 PM before it was opened up to the general population.


The VIP tickets allow for a couple of hours with far less people, which was especially comforting during these Covid times, but many of the breweries hand out special free swag and tap specialty beers that are not available to general admission. They also have food, which in itself is a big enticement.


This year there were perhaps a few fewer breweries present, but at the same time there were a lot that were first time attendees, which I like a lot as it introduces me to new and different brews. The trend this year seemed to be spiked seltzers as many of the breweries had various seltzers in a staggering array of flavors and styles. I tried a few, but mostly stuck to the wide array of beer selections that were on hand.


As usual there was a large local contingent on hand for the event and I saw the usual cast of characters among my beer loving friends. It was nice to be outside and doing something social. The weather was a little warm as is usual for Labor Day weekend, but thankfully it wasn’t beastly hot as it has been some years. This marks the 10th annual Brewfest and I have been fortunate enough to attend every one. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home