No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Monday, May 10, 2021

Dream fulfilled

 

May 2, 2021

Dream Fulfilled



I have been an Indy car race fan as long as I can remember. There is grainy home video of me attending practice for the Indy 500 in 1968 with my father and grandfather. I attended my first Indy 500 in 1973 and have been to every one since until the pandemic had me (and everyone else) miss the race as it was held without fans present. I have attended races at tracks across America, and have been a fan of Indy Car racing the entire time. 

 

In 2001, a new and very rare experience was born when the idea was hatched to expand a real Indy Car to include space for a passenger to ride along behind an Indy Car driver and the Indy Car two-seater was born. The Indy Car experience is something that I have always wanted to try, but was reluctant to spend the fairly expensive price that is required if you want to purchase one yourself. 



Through some good luck and serendipity I was able to secure an invitation for a free ride due to Covid 19. As strange as that sounds, it is true. I usually get a Hard Card credential from IndyCar that allows me access to the pits and paddock at every race of the season, but due to Covid, that access was being limited at least for the first four races of the season. As a consolation, a very nice woman from Indy Car contacted me and asked if I would be interested in getting a free ride.

I could not have responded yes fast enough. It was something that I had always dreamed of doing but had never an opportunity. I was given a place and time to show up and join the various big wigs, sponsors and others of about 30 people to participate in the Ruoff Mortgage Fastest Seat in Motorsports. I reported to a trailer where I was given an actual driver’s suit gloves and baklava and we all went trackside and lined up for the five various cars, each driven by a former Indy Car driver.



I was happily in line to ride with Gabby Chaves but when it came my turn they could not get a helmet to fit, apparently my fat head would only fit in the very largest helmet so the organizer asked that if I did not mind waiting until the end, he would make it worth my while. I had been waiting forever for this so  few more minutes was no problem. Myself and another apparently fat headed large man were pulled out of line and waited until all the other guests were finished before we were led down to the car driven by legendary driver Mario Andretti- who is generally only the driver for the biggest sponsors and celebrities. The other guy went before me and when he returned, The large helmet was placed on me and I climbed inside the second seat just behind Mario.





Words cannot describe the absolute exhilaration, thrill and nausea inducing ride around the St. Pete track. It was awesome, one of the best experiences and biggest thrills of my life. The g-forces and the feeling under hard braking from the top speed of near 180 mph to a sharp hairpin turn is something indescribable. How these drivers do this for hundreds of laps all while paying attention to driving, talking on the radio and watching out for other cars is truly spectacular. The experience was so amazing that it overshadowed the race itself, which was pretty cool as well.





The race day featured a pair of races in the Indy Lights series, the first won by Kyle Kirkwood and the second by David Malukas. I was in victory lane for both of those races but managed to make it to my seats to watch the second Stadium Super Trucks race and the main event the Indy Car race that capped off the weekend. The race featured a trio of spectacular Indy Car rookies, Romain Grosjean who raced in F1 the past few years, Scott McLaughlin the Australian Supercars champion and Jimmie Johnson the seven-time NASCAR champion. 



The race was dominated by Andretti Autosports’ Colton Herta, who led from the start and led 97 of the 100 laps in the race, holding off a charging Joseph Newgarden in the end to capture his fourth career victory. Simon Pagenaud, Jack Harvey and Scott Dixon rounded out the top five. It was a good race under bright sunny and warm skies. 



But as fun as the race was, it was that two-seater ride that will be ingrained in my memory. Ironically as I was leaving the track over the pedestrian bridge about an hour after the checkered flag, I ended up right next to none other than Mario Andretti. I looked over at him and said that I was the last rider in the two- seater and that it was an awesome experience and he said, “Oh you’re the guy with the Fat Head”. I laughed and said yeah that’s me.



ttps://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mario-andretti-indycar-lady-gaga/6491355/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home