No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Monday, October 26, 2020

On the Go

 

 

October 26, 2020

On the Go

This has been a busy and active couple of weeks that has been very much different that what I might have imagined it would be like if we were not still living and dealing with the ongoing and seemingly intensifying Covid-19 pandemic. The numbers continue to grow and the Fall spike that has been long predicted seems to be well underway. Currently the United States has 8,581,151 confirmed cases and 224,466 people who have died because of the virus. Here in Monroe County the numbers are climbing once again as well as we have 2,151 cases in the county with 1,001 of those being in Key West and 25 people who have died.





Breaking the 1000 case mark in Key West is not something to celebrate and with the oncoming holidays and tourist season, that figure is almost certain to rise by a great deal. It is a frightening prospect during a time that is already rife with stress with the election looming and everyone in an anxious state. It has been a time of comings and goings for us as I returned home from my trip up north spent a day with Kathy, before she headed west towards our Colorado house where she needed to prepare it for potential new tenants.




I had hoped that my visit with my mother Marta would coincide with her 90th birthday which was on the 18th, but I was there just a little early for a short, but really pretty good visit. I was able to spend a few days with Marta as well as some time with my sister Marika and her husband Brian, who have been performing the lion’s share of her care and who I cannot thank enough as it is a tough job, even with the wonderful helpers who stay with her, Maira and Josephine.






Marta was in good spirits while I was there and obviously excited about her big birthday. Her friend Marni was coming to spend the day with her from Indianapolis and they had reserved a private room at her favorite dining spot, Meridian Restaurant where she Marni, Marika and Brian could have a regal celebration off Marta’s birthday in style. I would have like to have been there, but I wanted to get home in time to celebrate our 17th anniversary with Kathy before she headed west, driving across country for her first significant trip since last year. 





Our anniversary was fantastic, seventeen wonderful years with my partner, I would not trade them for anything and it is going to be tough being apart for the next month or so as she gets some quality time there. She enjoys the long drive and this trip she stopped a couple of times, first at Fort Phantom Hill in Jones, County, Texas.  The Fort was used during the mid and late 1800s, first as a Confederate outpost and later as a US government post during the Indian Wars. Fort Phantom Hill is one of the most pristine historic sites in Texas. Besides the stone chimneys, other remnants of the developed fort remain for visitors to explore at the 22-acre site. These include an intact stone powder magazine, a stone guardhouse, and an almost-intact commissary or warehouse.





Her next stop was much more significant as she stopped in Clovis, New Mexico to visit our friend’s Dakota and Andy and their adorable daughter Sloane. Kathy stayed with them for about five days, which made me terribly jealous. Sloane is the closest thing we have to a Grandchild and getting to spend time with her just makes Kathy’s year. Finally, something happy and joyful during this crappy year.




Back in Key West, I am holding down the home-front, taking care of our pets and the house is keeping me busy. I am avoiding going out, even though apparently there were some fake Fantasy Fest type events downtown. I wouldn’t be much interested even if we were not in the midst of a worldwide pandemic, there is nothing that can replace the real Fantasy Fest and seeing some pale imitation doesn’t do much for me.



Instead I am keeping myself busy with more mundane but rewarding activities like taking our dog, Jack on nice long walks at the beach and to the dog park. I also attended the long-delayed opening home game for the Key West High football team. They only offered very limited tickets but I was lucky enough to secure one and it was fun being able to be out on a beautiful fall evening watching football.




I also happily early voted this week. There have been massive lines at the polls as people seem to be turning out in droves to vote this time. That makes me hopeful that maybe, just maybe we will see some significant changes. But with just over a week to go, I can’t let myself become too confident. We have been down that road before. I hope everyone votes though, no matter who or what they support. The system works best when we all participate and I was really excited just to be voting this year.


Finally I just want to express our sympathy and regrets as another family friend passed away this week, another in what has been a long, terrible string of people that I know passing on. This one was our friend Rich Simone. Rich was an actor who I have known since high school when he was in a number of productions with my sister Marika at the Phoenix Theatre. He became a family friend who I might never had stayed in touch with if we both didn’t end up in Key West. He continued his acting career and was an integral part of our community until he recently moved back to Indianapolis. I was really sad to hear of his passing. 





















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home