No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 12, 2019

“You see, some nights when I can’t sleep, I still think of you Of all the promises, all the dreams we shared I know those lights still call to you, I can hear them now…” – The Alarm


September 9, 2019

The Alarm

 

With Mike Peters of the Alarm

Gene Loves Jezebel


“You see, some nights when I can’t sleep, I still think of you
Of all the promises, all the dreams we shared
I know those lights still call to you, I can hear them now…” – The Alarm

Anyone who knows me or is even a casual reader of this blog, knows that I am a huge music fan and that I go to see live music as often as I possibly can. Of the thousands of bands that I have seen live, there remain a relatively small and select few that I rank as my all-time favorites and that I will regularly travel sometimes great distances to see perform. 


Modern English


Gene Loves Jezebel

For some reason, there is one band in this group that I just have not had the opportunity to see in thirty years. From the time that the original members of the Alarm broke up in 1991 until now, I have not been to see any of the bands different incarnations or the solo work of those original members. So it was with great excitement, tinged with a bit of fear that I bought tickets to see the Alarm’s return to South Florida for the first time in thirty-four years. The current band, led by lead singer Mike Peters was to play a show in Miami along with openers and fellow 80s stalwarts, Gene Loves Jezebel and Modern English, neither who I had ever seen.



 



I had seen the Alarm a lot during their 80s heyday, starting in 1983 when I saw them open for U2’s “War” tour and about 25 additional times both as the opener for bands such as the Pretenders, Pat Benatar, the Police and Bob Dylan as well as on their own headlining tours. Many people have no idea how big they were at one time, certainly rivaling U2 in popularity in the early 80s, but for whatever reason they just never were able to maintain and hit the superstardom that some others such as U2 achieved. 

 




I was a little afraid because those 80s shows remain some of my fondest memories and their live shows were legendary and I was afraid that it would not be possible to match or really even come close to the power and energy that I remember the band displaying. I arrived early at the Ground at Club Space in Miami to attend the VIP meet and greet with the band and my fears were almost immediately allayed.



 


The small group of VIPs were taken in at 6 PM and lead to the basement of the club where a special performance space was set up and each band was there with an all acoustic set-up and each band played three acoustic songs, chatted with us and then we had time to mingle and get photos etc. In spite of the poor lighting, it was one of the best meet and greets ever as you really felt like you were getting a private intimate performance.

Meet & Greet

All the bands sounded amazing and it was a fun and relaxed hour just hanging out and hearing some great music in a truly intimate setting. I was able to request personally two of the three Alarm songs that Mike played including “One Step Closer to Home” and “New South Wales”, which he sung the first verse in his native Welsh. After the hour we went upstairs to the main performance space and caught the last part of the Sound Check before the crowd was allowed in.

Modern English- “I Melt With You”

Kathy did not make the trip from Key West as she wanted to stay home and oversee the landscaping project we are having done at home, but there was a nice group of Key West people including my friends Kathy, Liz, Eileen and Graf who were on hand for the show, which was pretty amazing all around.  Both the opening bands were terrific and sounded great. I now wish that I had not waited until now to see them live.

The Alarm- “Spirit of 76”

As great as Modern English and Gene Loves Jezebel were, the Alarm showed why they were the headlining act and why my concerns about them having lost the power and energy of their youthful shows were misplaced. Even with a totally different line-up, with the exception of Peters, the band was spot on in their performances that ranged from a great collection of their classic songs and some from their latest release that came out earlier this year and really holds up well with the classic material. As much as I loved the original members, it was Peters who is and always has been the heart and soul of the band and his voice and playing is pretty much unchanged from the early years. 






 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home