No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Fair Night



August 13, 2017





The Wild Reeds 





Fair Night

The Indiana State fair at night is a totally different animal. The focus shifts from the livestock barns and exhibits to the midway, a kaleidoscope of lights, colors, sounds and smells that can only be found at a fair. The darkness brings a sense of excitement and activity and the fair experience to a new level. For the night portion of my fair going experience, my good friend John joined me to take in the fair for a second time.



with John





John grew up on the same block of Park Avenue that I did, just a few houses down and we have been friends something around forty-five years. We have made many, many trips to the fair together dating back to our early childhood and we also share a love of photography which makes the fair at night a pretty awesome place to shoot photos.







 



In fact, the only ride we actually went on was the new skyride that connects the two sections of midway and travels along the street between the Grandstand and Coliseum. It was pretty cool to glide above the street and get views of the fair from above the fray. 











Personally I have not been much of a fan of midway rides, at least since I was a kid. They seem inherently sketchy and unsafe, my fears confirmed just last month when this same midway company had a tragic malfunction at the Ohio State Fair in which a ride failure resulted in fatalities. None of that seemed to dissuade the throngs of fairgoers lining up to ride on the various rides. The carneys were busy as well trying to lure passersby into playing the games of chance, which I also tend to avoid. Enough people win to keep others coming back, but I prefer just to watch. 







 



John and I wondered around the fair until maybe ten pm and it was still going strong when we left, I wanted to get down to the Fountain Square section of Indianapolis to catch a concert at the Hi-Fi club by a great band, The Wild Reeds. I always check for who might be playing when I visit any city and found that the Hi-Fi was hosting the band on the only night I was in town.

Otis Gibbs mural at the Hi-Fi

The Wild Reeds

The band is fronted by three young women from Los Angeles and is touring in support of their second full length release, “The World We Built”. The band has a real indie-folk vibe with each of the women capable of singing lead and also making for some impressive three part harmonies. The show was fantastic and I am so glad that I made the effort to go.

The Wild Reeds





I did no capture any good video at the show, but I thought I would include a video of the band covering the classic Beach Boys song, “Surfer Girl”. You can get a feel for the harmonies they are able to replicate and a sample of what the show was like. I love going to see shows at the Hi-Fi and this was one of the better ones that I have had the good fortune to attend



The Wild Reeds

After the show, my friend Jenny drove down to meet me in Fountain Square and we went out for a late night drink. It was so cool of her to come out and meet me and great to be able to catch up. I didn’t have much time to see a lot of friends this trip but did manage to squeeze in a quick visit to my friend Amanda as well the following morning before my flight to Colorado. I got to see her kids and meet her new dog Gwen as well. All in all it was a great trip to Indianapolis.

with Jenny 

Amanda

Gwen Stacy



http://thewildreedsmusic.com/
 
http://www.indystar.com/videos/life/2017/08/20/get-drones-eye-view-indiana-state-fair/104796326/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home