No Direction Home

This humble blog was started to document our travels around the country during the summer of 2006, We have opted to continue updating it due to the requests from family & friends. Enjoy!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Art Crawl

November 24, 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket KK

Photobucket MB

Photobucket

Art Crawl

Photobucket

At the urging of our friend and former fellow student of the Paul Adams photography department at FKCC, Carol Wightman, Kathy & I participated in the first ever Art Crawl at the Studios of Key West on Saturday.

Photobucket KK

The Art Crawl was inspired by the International Sketch Crawl and basically expanded upon the idea by gathering over 50 artists, photographers, poets, videographers, musicians, painters and other artistically inclined people at 9:30 am on Saturday morning, giving them very brief instructions before sending them out in the neighborhood to create something artistic and return to share the creations over lunch at 1 PM.

PhotobucketMB

When Carol first contacted us, I thought that it sounded like a great idea and it gave me a reason to pick up my camera for something other than documenting stuff for a blog. Of course as the event approached, I must admit that I was rather dreading it as it seemed more a burden on an already crowded schedule than something to look forward to, if it hadn’t been for Carol, we may well have begged off. Thankfully we didn’t because the event was way more enjoyable and creatively stimulating than I’d ever imagined.

Photobucket KK

PhotobucketMB

When we first gathered, we really didn’t have much of a plan, just to venture out into the neighborhood with our cameras and see if anything inspired us. Thankfully, it was an absolutely perfect day, beautiful sunshine and clear as we wondered about seeking the elusive “inspiration”. Ironically it came, for me at least, in the form of the myriad of yard sales taking place in the area around the Studios. Our first yard sale stop just happened to be at the home of a well-known Key West artist, Lynn Sherman, who not only sold Kathy a beautiful sarong, but also invited for a tour of her beautiful home and studio. Seeing the area where she creates her incredible art sparked something and from that point on, I was much more focused.

Photobucket Lynn Sherman

Photobucket

Photobucket Lynn's Studio

At another yard sale, I purchased a .50 cent paper bee that became the centerpiece for a series of photos that I call, “The Secret Life of Bee” which gave me a somewhat easy way to have something to present, while certainly not the most artistic or creative photos, they were certainly the most popular.

Photobucket

Photobucket The Secret Life of Bee

Photobucket

Photobucket

We ended up over at West Martello where the Key West Garden Club was hosting their annual plant sale and photo opportunities were plentiful despite the harsh light of mid-day before heading back to the Studios to reassemble all the creative people to present their work.

Photobucket KK

Photobucket KK

It was truly inspiring what was created in those few short hours. Kathy & I are already looking forward to participating in future Art Crawls, Thanks to Carol and to the amazing staff at the Studios for a wonderful event.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Great photos.
I want to play!! Kathy and I seem to be on a similar path. Well, actually you, Mikey, and I are also. I just did a project for school called a bug's eye view. I photographed the undersides of plants and made a website documenting it.
I would love to do the art crawl. We have sketch crawls in San Francisco but I have always been too intimidated to do it.
Here is my bug website -
http://dma.sjsu.edu/art74_4/kfalconer/beneath/html/index.html
Miss you guys -
Kate

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the fish eye view.
Very cool.
Do you guys Facebook? I have been searching for you.
Happy Thanksgiving.
What is your email?
Jen
Jen_Korten@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home